[Standards] LAST CALL: XEP-0308 (Last Message Correction)

Kurt Zeilenga Kurt.Zeilenga at Isode.COM
Tue Aug 14 18:09:28 UTC 2012

On Aug 14, 2012, at 8:57 AM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im> wrote:

> In fact, I'd argue that this spec is a technical solution to a social
> problem, and thus is wrongheaded. It's easy enough to send a new
> message correcting the old one (e.g., "sorry, I meant to say Y instead
> of X" or "s/X/Y/"). People do that all the time. Magically and
> invisibly changing a message after the fact strikes me as a really bad
> idea.

The more I think about it, the more I think I that this XEP is a bad idea.

Basically, the kind of user confusion I illustrated in by prior post can really only be addressed if this extension is mandatory to implement (for all clients).  And, I don't think extensions should be mandatory to implement.  They should be truly optional.

-- Kurt