[Standards] XEP-0308 and "Linear Real-Time Text" (TDD/textphones) - it is NOT a technical solution to social problem in this case.

Mark Rejhon markybox at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 03:37:49 UTC 2012

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 3:21 PM, Kim Alvefur <zash at zash.se> wrote:
> On 2012-08-14T20:09:28 CEST, Kurt Zeilenga wrote:
>> The more I think about it, the more I think I that this XEP is a bad idea.
>
> I think the concept itself is a bad idea, but since some people really
> want to have this feature, having a XEP for it might be better than not
> having one.  I do agree with Peter about this largely being a technical
> solution to a social problem.

Actually, not necessarily a technical solution to a social problem,
for certain situations:
It solves the "linear real-time text problem".   TDD's (text
telephones) transmit as a single stream of continuous real time text,
with no message boundaries.

Gatewaying instant messaging (with XEP-0301 real time text) to text
telephones or other linear real-time text technologies, represents
some compromises when needing to backspace across message boundaries
(e.g. to the previous message).

The existence of XEP-0308 solves this problem.
And, the existence of multiple-message correction allows backspacing
back across more than one message (especially if several <Enter>
keypresses were accidentally hit on a TDD / text telephone)

Therefore, XEP-0308 (as agreed by me and Gunnar) is one solution to
the "linear real time text" problem; it makes it possible to backspace
across message boundaries, when gatewaying between linear real-time
text to instant messaging, and vice-versa.

Sincerely,
Mark Rejhon