[Standards] File hosting XEP?

Sergey Dobrov binary at jrudevels.org
Wed Aug 15 08:49:38 UTC 2012

On 08/14/2012 11:53 PM, Jefry Lagrange wrote:
>> Sure, but how client will upload it's attachments? I can do it in a
>> client-specific way, but then others will not be able to implement the
>> same thing.
>

> If I understand correctly, what you want to do is to attach files to a
> microblog post. Since you can use Out of Band Data for that, you can
> upload the file out of band without the need of xmpp e.g. uploading it
> to an FTP.

How client would know which FTP server it should use and which HTTP link
it should use then to use in a content? That's a suitable way for
centralized services with proprietary clients but if we want to make
possible to write your own client we must specify such things, and the
best way, as I consider, is to use XMPP-based protocol to serve files.

> True, the client has to be modified to support this, but since it
> isn't covered in any XEP afaik, you would have to modify it anyway.

That will lead users to lock in my implementation.

> Therefore, your client will be able to upload files while other
> clients will not until their devs deem it a necessary feature.

Obviously, but the problem is a little wider: devs have to deem blogging
as a necessary feature, which is an another situation.

--
With best regards,
Sergey Dobrov,