[Standards] LAST CALL: XEP-0308 (Last Message Correction)

Kurt Zeilenga Kurt.Zeilenga at Isode.COM
Wed Aug 15 14:54:31 UTC 2012

On Aug 15, 2012, at 7:28 AM, Kevin Smith <kevin at kismith.co.uk> wrote:

>> In fact, I'd argue that this spec is a technical solution to a social
>> problem
>
> I note, after drafting many more acerbic replies, that this is
> consistent with all specs.
>
> Messaging is a social problem.

Yes.

My concern is how effective our solution is in solving the social problem, messaging between humans.

XMPP IM (without 308) has demonstrated itself to be an effective solution.  XMPP IM with 308 implemented universally would also likely an effective solution.

It seems to me that XMPP IM, with some clients supporting 308 and some not, will be less effective than either of the above solutions, simply because key information (this message is a correction) is lost on fallback in clients not supporting 308.

I do suspect that a social solution to this issue will be found.

I don't object to progressing 308 to Draft.

-- Kurt