[Standards] LAST CALL: XEP-0308 (Last Message Correction)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Wed Aug 15 15:02:50 UTC 2012

On 8/15/12 8:54 AM, Kurt Zeilenga wrote:

> On Aug 15, 2012, at 7:28 AM, Kevin Smith <kevin at kismith.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>>> In fact, I'd argue that this spec is a technical solution to a
>>> social problem
>>
>> I note, after drafting many more acerbic replies, that this is
>> consistent with all specs.
>>
>> Messaging is a social problem.
>
> Yes.
>
> My concern is how effective our solution is in solving the social
> problem, messaging between humans.
>
> XMPP IM (without 308) has demonstrated itself to be an effective
> solution.  XMPP IM with 308 implemented universally would also
> likely an effective solution.
>
> It seems to me that XMPP IM, with some clients supporting 308 and
> some not, will be less effective than either of the above
> solutions, simply because key information (this message is a
> correction) is lost on fallback in clients not supporting 308.

In a chatroom I frequent, someone just used last message correction,
which my client does not support...

[08:18:52] <user> i though the old IPs work again?
[08:18:56] <user> i thought the old IPs work again?

I perceived it as retyping the entire message to make the correction,
which I suppose was reasonable. However, whether the retyped message
makes sense depends on how much was changed. This would have been
strange...

[08:18:52] <user> i though the old IPs work again?
[08:18:56] <user> did I hear correctly that the old IPs work again?

or even...

[08:18:52] <user> i though the old IPs work again?
[08:18:56] <user> Peter, you're a loser

> I do suspect that a social solution to this issue will be found.

Socially speaking, I think most corrections are slight. But
potentially they could be significant and subject to abuse.

> I don't object to progressing 308 to Draft.

It's not a hill for me to die on.

Peter

- --
Peter Saint-Andre