[Standards] LAST CALL: XEP-0308 (Last Message Correction)

Kevin Smith kevin at kismith.co.uk
Wed Aug 15 15:16:24 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 4:02 PM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im> wrote:
> In a chatroom I frequent, someone just used last message correction,
> which my client does not support...
>
> [08:18:52] <user> i though the old IPs work again?
> [08:18:56] <user> i thought the old IPs work again?

That user's client gave them a warning before sending the correction
to the MUC, mind, saying that some users in the MUC didn't support
message correction and would see it as a duplicate message.

> I perceived it as retyping the entire message to make the correction,
> which I suppose was reasonable. However, whether the retyped message
> makes sense depends on how much was changed. This would have been
> strange...
>
> [08:18:52] <user> i though the old IPs work again?
> [08:18:56] <user> did I hear correctly that the old IPs work again?
>
> or even...
>
> [08:18:52] <user> i though the old IPs work again?
> [08:18:56] <user> Peter, you're a loser
>
>> I do suspect that a social solution to this issue will be found.
>
> Socially speaking, I think most corrections are slight. But
> potentially they could be significant and subject to abuse.

It certainly introduces ways for people to do odd things, but in terms
of abuse I'm not convinced. That is - 308 is already clear (I think,
and I can make it clearer) that clients will need to let the user know
that the message has been modified, so there isn't much of a window
for tricking people here (and I think a good UI is to expose the
original message as well, although simply saying that the message has
been edited is probably sufficient).

If there are real attacks here, rather than just a feeling that it's a
bit odd and unexpected, we should enumerate them and address them.

/K