[Standards] File hosting XEP?

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Wed Aug 15 15:22:21 UTC 2012

On 8/14/12 2:43 AM, Sergey Dobrov wrote:
> Hello all, hope you are all good.
>
> Me and Jaussoin Timothée faced with a problem to attach files to
> microblog posts. The easier way to do that is to serve files
> somewhere and link to them from the posts.

I've thought about this before in relation to MUC rooms -- it would be
interesting to have a way to attach files to the room. The rough idea
I had was for the room itself to support file transfer (probably
XEP-0234), although we'd need to define a way for the room to
advertise the file-attachment feature (probably via ad-hoc commands)
and of course you'd want a way to delete files, as well.

> But what is the appropriate way to do that?
>
> 1) upload to a web server and link as http-link. But how to upload?
> If we will just create an API and then upload files through it then
> it will not be reusable. We have a XEP-0129 (WebDAV File Transfer)
> but it's deferred and doesn't determine some things like what
> exactly server we have to PUT files to. 2) Use native file serving
> protocol: we have XEP-0135 which is seems to be good for me, but
> it's deferred again and doesn't define a way to upload files to a
> hosting. Also, it doesn't support Jingle File Transfers. So it
> needs to be finished. Also, we have XEP-0214 which seems to me too
> complicated. And it's also deferred, not finished, without an
> ability to upload files.

Realistically, I think you'd want to make the files available via XMPP
and HTTP.

> Also, we need an ability to make a link to files, which, possibly,
> will need an invitation of new link schema. (?)

In the XMPP world, I think the file host would advertise the existence
of the files using something like XEP-0137 (or its Jingle equivalent
- -- this is currently unspecified in XEP-0234 but I think we need to
add it).

> So, if we want to take care about finish, which XEP should it be?
> What is the other nuances or guidelines?

I need to think about that some more when I work on XEP-0234 again.

Peter

- --
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/