[Standards] File hosting XEP?

Sergey Dobrov binary at jrudevels.org
Thu Aug 16 07:50:46 UTC 2012

> On 8/14/12 2:43 AM, Sergey Dobrov wrote:
>> Hello all, hope you are all good.
>
>> Me and Jaussoin Timothée faced with a problem to attach files to
>> microblog posts. The easier way to do that is to serve files
>> somewhere and link to them from the posts.
>
> I've thought about this before in relation to MUC rooms -- it would be
> interesting to have a way to attach files to the room. The rough idea
> I had was for the room itself to support file transfer (probably
> XEP-0234), although we'd need to define a way for the room to
> advertise the file-attachment feature (probably via ad-hoc commands)
> and of course you'd want a way to delete files, as well.

Yeah, that's a good idea. I think that the MUC service can advertise
itself as file hosting via service discovery and then work as ordinary
file hosting service to serve attachments.

>> But what is the appropriate way to do that?
>
>> 1) upload to a web server and link as http-link. But how to upload?
>> If we will just create an API and then upload files through it then
>> it will not be reusable. We have a XEP-0129 (WebDAV File Transfer)
>> but it's deferred and doesn't determine some things like what
>> exactly server we have to PUT files to. 2) Use native file serving
>> protocol: we have XEP-0135 which is seems to be good for me, but
>> it's deferred again and doesn't define a way to upload files to a
>> hosting. Also, it doesn't support Jingle File Transfers. So it
>> needs to be finished. Also, we have XEP-0214 which seems to me too
>> complicated. And it's also deferred, not finished, without an
>> ability to upload files.
>
> Realistically, I think you'd want to make the files available via XMPP
> and HTTP.

Sure! It must be possible to return a list or mirrors for the file, why not.

>> Also, we need an ability to make a link to files, which, possibly,
>> will need an invitation of new link schema. (?)
>
> In the XMPP world, I think the file host would advertise the existence
> of the files using something like XEP-0137 (or its Jingle equivalent
> -- this is currently unspecified in XEP-0234 but I think we need to
> add it).

Why don't use the XEP-0135 for the aims of discover available files? I
think it's pretty good for the task. The only things we need to add is
ability to upload and remove files, am I wrong? Anyway, we can use both
XEP-0135 and XEP-0137 to allow users to track new files immediately.
Anyway, that's not a first needed feature but I find that sipub is not
acceptable to navigate through uploaded files.

>> So, if we want to take care about finish, which XEP should it be?
>> What is the other nuances or guidelines?
>
> I need to think about that some more when I work on XEP-0234 again.

I would like to take a participation in the work on the feature, if it's
possible ;)

--
With best regards,
Sergey Dobrov,