[Standards] File hosting XEP?

Sergey Dobrov binary at jrudevels.org
Thu Aug 16 08:28:17 UTC 2012

On 08/16/2012 03:18 PM, Kevin Smith wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 8:52 AM, Sergey Dobrov <binary at jrudevels.org> wrote:
>> On 08/15/2012 09:15 PM, jefry.reyes at gmail.com wrote:
>>> I deem blogging a necessary feature and I want to implement it (show me
>>> your client I would like to see how you are doing). Thinking about the
>>> implementation the subject of attaching files came up and Out of Band
>>> data transfer looked like the best solution.
>>>
>>> There are a lot of benefits to Out of Bound:
>>>
>>> * You don't have to modify existing servers (this is a big plus!)
>>>
>>> * You get to use existing file hosting services (there are a lot and can
>>> provide for more space than xmpp servers)
>>>
>>> * You don't have to introduce a new XEP
>>>

>> * You can't unify the uploading process. Or do you know the protocol
>> which allows you to upload files and obtain the link for it in the
>> unified way?
>>
>> * You are depends on the third-party services and can't guarantee
>> anything to your users.
>
> The buddycloud people have been working on this problem and have, I
> think, running code - although I know none of the details.
>
> /K

Buddycloud is a big riddle for me. I have seen their protocols a long
time ago and they are still seem to me to be very far away of the XMPP,
using XMPP only as transport layer. Maybe I am wrong and I have to
review them again, I don't know. But I have my own solution for that too
and it works fine, but not flexible and I understand that it must be
replaced by some XEP.

--
With best regards,
Sergey Dobrov,