[Standards] File hosting XEP?

Tuomas Koski koski.tuomas at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 13:14:38 UTC 2012

Hi,

On 16 August 2012 14:20, Sergey Dobrov <binary at jrudevels.org> wrote:
> Yes, sorry, you're right. I just meant that buddycloud invents it's own
> protocols instead of edit existent XEPs, write new, with an XMPP
> community participation. It's a valid approach but differs from mine.

If I'm not wrongly mistaken, project referred in this mailing list is
the "buddycloud Media Server". Simple quick documentation here:
https://buddycloud.org/wiki/GSOC_2012/Media_Server

And some quick use cases why it was build for:
https://buddycloud.org/wiki/GSOC_2012/Media_Server#Use_Cases

I believe that the main driver for buddycloud to "DIY" is that the use
cases and requirements of the product do not fit the existing XEPs.

IMHO starting with a technology and trying to match it to a problem is
never a good way to solve anything.

I think buddycloud is a team that wants to say:
"We’ve implemented this product feature as a prototype, it works, and
now we want to talk about the standard version of it."

IMHO That’s the right way to build standards. Have a product problem,
solve it, and then iterate with others on an open specification.
Otherwise we just end up with another deferred XEP.

Cheers,
--
Tuomas