[Standards] review of XEP-0301, sections 1-5

Gunnar Hellström gunnar.hellstrom at omnitor.se
Sat Aug 18 06:33:30 UTC 2012

On 2012-08-18 05:15, Mark Rejhon wrote:
> (for <t/>)
> >and Basic Real-Time Text (whenever <e/> is otherwise needed).  A major
> >potential implementer has indicated they prefer this method for
> >simplicity (low CPU overhead compared to section 6.4.1 "Avoid Bursty
> >Text Presentation").
Mark, this is a side question, not influencing the <e/> discussion.
What is your proposal to this potential major implementer to make
real-time text usable when only using 'reset' and not using <w/>.

Do you recommend to use a shorter interval than 700 ms? The earlier
documented usability limit is 500 ms. Above that, the users start
thinking jerkiness is unpleasant, and in reality 300 is experienced as
more pleasant than 500.
-But we have said that 300 ms might cause too much load on servers or
networks to be a universally used interval.

Or do you recommend to use time smoothing (displaying received
characters progressively during the transmission interval ) instead of
key-press intervals?
-But you have said that time smoothing may be cpu consuming and is
complicated to introduce on the receiving end in modern xml library
environments.

I hope they do not want to have annoyed users experiencing 700 ms jerks
in their text conversation.

/Gunnar