[Standards] review of XEP-0301 [ event='reset']

Mark Rejhon markybox at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 03:38:41 UTC 2012

On 2012-08-18 10:08 PM, "Peter Saint-Andre" <stpeter at stpeter.im> wrote:
> > To be fair, the event=new also exactly does the same thing -- it
> > also clears the real-time message, so if I say what you say, I am
> > also introducing a potential new confusion about the lack of
> > distinction between event=new and event=reset.  This must be
> > thought out carefully. Your revision does not solve confusion
> > without creating a new, separate confusion.
>
> To me, reset sounds like "here is where we left off" and then you'd
> send changes from that baseline. But as I said, it's probably OK
> as-is, so this is a tempest in a teapot.
>
> Peter

I'll go with a simpler clarification change:

I hereby propose two changes:

(1) A stronger clarification in the "event=reset" paragraph in section
4.2.2: http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html#event

Change: "and then process action elements within the <rtt/> element"

Into: "and then process action elements within the <rtt/> element. (Any
number of any [[[Action Elements(link)]]] can be included within <rtt/>)"

and

(2) Change the last sentence of 4.6.3. "Message Reset"
http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html#message_reset

Change: "Note: There are no restrictions on using multiple [[[Action
Elements]]] during a message reset (e.g. typing or backspacing occurring at
the end of a retransmitted message)."

Into: "Note: There are no restrictions on using multiple [[[Action
Elements]]] during a message reset (e.g. typing or backspacing occurring at
the end of a retransmitted message). The behavior of <rtt event='reset'/>
is logically identical to <rtt event='new'/> (differs only to allow
presentation-related behaviours), and has exactly the same capability for
ongoing real-time text in multiple action elements, including [[[Preserving
Key Press Intervals]]]."

Is this overkill, or prudent?  Any remaining confusion?