[Standards] review of XEP-0301 [ event='reset']

Mark Rejhon markybox at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 16:58:14 UTC 2012

On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 12:54 PM, Mark Rejhon <markybox at gmail.com> wrote:
> Not necessarily.
> The first element of 'reset' can be a <e/> element (which would do
> nothing on a blank message, EXACTLY as if it were for 'new')
> The first element of 'reset' can be a <w/> element (which would pause
> on a blank message, EXACTLY as if it were for 'new')
> When I say 'reset' is exactly the same as 'reset', I really mean it:
> Exactly the same action element processing.
>
> Should I rename 'reset' to 'notequitenew' or 'reinitialize'
>
> Peter, do you suggest I rename 'reset' to 'reinitialize'?

My proposal has now become:

event='new'
Senders MUST use this value when transmitting the first <rtt/> element
containing Action Elements (i.e. when sending the first character(s)
of a new message). Recipient clients MUST initialize a new real-time
message for display, and then process action elements within the
<rtt/> element. If a real-time message already exists, from the same
sender in the same chat session, its content MUST be replaced (i.e.
cleared prior to processing action elements). Senders MAY send
subsequent <rtt/> elements that do not contain an event attribute.

event='reinitialize'
For recipients, both 'new' and 'reinitialize' are logically identical,
and can process exactly the same [[[Action Elements]]], in any number, in
any order. They differ only for implementation purposes (e.g.
highlighting newly-started messages). Recipient clients MUST
initialize a new real-time message for display, and then process
action elements within the <rtt/> element. If a real-time message
already exists, from the same sender in the same chat session, its
content MUST be replaced (i.e. cleared prior to processing action
elements). Senders MAY send subsequent <rtt/> elements that do not
contain an event attribute. Recipients MUST be able to process 'reset'
without first receiving 'new'. In addition, a common purpose of
'reinitialize' is retransmissions, including Message Reset, used for
Keeping Real-Time Text Synchronized and Basic Real-Time Text.