[Standards] review of XEP-0301 [ event='reset']

Gunnar Hellström gunnar.hellstrom at omnitor.se
Mon Aug 20 20:26:24 UTC 2012

On 2012-08-20 10:20, Mark Rejhon wrote:
> GH> > When the sender composes the part of the refresh that has been
> transmitted before, <w/> elements shall not be included.
<MR> I am not going to specifically disallow any elements and order for
either new/reset.

<GH>
It seems to me that you did not read my comment completely.

I think we need to set rules for how the refresh is composed.
Some implementers may think that it is good to collect all action
elements sent so far in the real-time message, and just resend them as
the retransmission.

That would include many <w/> elements.
If such a message refresh would be sent, it would take a long time to
display, with severe flicker as a result.

Instead all action elements sent so far except <w/> could be collected
and retransmitted and it would result in rapid display, possibly
followed by new elements.

Another (probably better) method would be to just recreate the resulting
text and send the retransmitted part as a single <t/> element, possibly
followed by new elements.

Therefore I think it is still valid to insert a sentence in 4.6.3
"When the sender composes the part of the refresh that has been
transmitted before, <w/> elements shall not be included".

Gunnar