[Standards] review of XEP-0301, sections 1-5 (Advice needed on Peter's comments)

Gregg Vanderheiden gv at trace.wisc.edu
Wed Aug 22 20:40:32 UTC 2012

> ******* CLARIFICATION #1 ********
> Issue: Should I define an Implementation note about how sender clients
> should handle enabling/disabling of real-time text while in the middle
> of composing a message.  (e.g. sender user types a message partially,
> and then clicks a button to deactivate real-time text, then resumes
> typing, etc).   This is not covered in the spec, and might not be
> clear to all.  (Context from Peter below

I suggest we keep it simple.
anytime the mode is switched the equivalent of "an ellipsis and SEND" is sent.
- for real time text switched to message: the text will have already been sent up to the switch, so terminating that string with and ellipse and send...   and then sending the rest as a following message would seem logical.
- for message switched to real-time text: the message up to that point would simply be transmitted as real-time text and the person would then continue in real time.