[Standards] Comments on XEP-0301 -- Section 1

Mark Rejhon markybox at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 20:58:08 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 4:46 PM, Matthew Miller
<linuxwolf at outer-planes.net> wrote:

> On Aug 22, 2012, at 14:42, Mark Rejhon wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 2:30 PM, Matthew Miller
>> <linuxwolf at outer-planes.net> wrote:
>>> * Teletypewriter (TTY) and Text Device for the Deaf (TDD) telephones [citations recommended]
>>
>> Consulted with some peers.
>>
>> TTY expansion to Teletypewriter -- OK, good idea.
>> TDD is actually correctly "Telecommunications Device for the Deaf",
>> but it is deprecated usage right now by most U.S. accessibility
>> organizations, in favour of TTY.  Europeans ofte use "textphones", and
>> variants thereof.
>>
>> Also, the phrase "text telephones" is more compatible and
>> self-explanatory with the European equivalent of TTY, "textphones".
>>
>> It's somewhat political behind the scenes in the various communities,
>> so changes to this bullet will need to be done very carefully.  I
>> spent many hours rewording just the Introduction as a result.
>>
>> Mark Rejhon
>
> That's fine.  I accept I operate under obsolete assumptions sometimes (-:
>
> But it's important that all acronyms are expanded the first time they are used, and even better to include an authoritative citation.

Oh, you might also be remembering I had

... "TTY and text telephones for the deaf".

But I removed "for the deaf", when Peter/Kevin (one or both)
complained about three mentions of the word "deaf" due to the
overemphasis on the word, despite its clear application there.  So I
toned it down somewhat, reducing three mentions of "deaf" in
Introduction to just one mention.