[Standards] Comments on XEP-0301 -- Section 1

Gunnar Hellström gunnar.hellstrom at omnitor.se
Wed Aug 22 21:28:16 UTC 2012

On 2012-08-22 22:58, Mark Rejhon wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 4:46 PM, Matthew Miller
> <linuxwolf at outer-planes.net> wrote:
>>

>> On Aug 22, 2012, at 14:42, Mark Rejhon wrote:

>>> Consulted with some peers.
>>>
>>> TTY expansion to Teletypewriter -- OK, good idea.
>>> TDD is actually correctly "Telecommunications Device for the Deaf",
>>> but it is deprecated usage right now by most U.S. accessibility
>>> organizations, in favour of TTY.  Europeans ofte use "textphones", and
>>> variants thereof.
>>>
>>> Also, the phrase "text telephones" is more compatible and
>>> self-explanatory with the European equivalent of TTY, "textphones".
>>>
>>> It's somewhat political behind the scenes in the various communities,
>>> so changes to this bullet will need to be done very carefully.  I
>>> spent many hours rewording just the Introduction as a result.
>>>
>>> Mark Rejhon
>> That's fine.  I accept I operate under obsolete assumptions sometimes (-:
>>
>> But it's important that all acronyms are expanded the first time they are used, and even better to include an authoritative citation.
> Oh, you might also be remembering I had
>
> ... "TTY and text telephones for the deaf".
>
> But I removed "for the deaf", when Peter/Kevin (one or both)
> complained about three mentions of the word "deaf" due to the
> overemphasis on the word, despite its clear application there.  So I
> toned it down somewhat, reducing three mentions of "deaf" in
> Introduction to just one mention.
I do not think expansion of TTY to Teletypewriter is a good idea. That
tends to mean the other use of the term TTY, the device that was often
used as a computer operator console terminal a long time ago and still
lives in language around such usage.

So TTY in this usage is more " A term used in North America for text
telephones, i.e. devices used for text and audio communication in the
PSTN mainly with deaf and hard-of-hearing persons."

Text telephones or textphones is the international term used by ITU-T (
E.g. V.18 and F.703 )  3GPP ( e.g. TS 22.226 )
IETF ( e.g. RFC 4734 ).
Various countries in Europe have different names for the concept in
their national languages, so text telephone is not specifically European.

I hope it is clear by combining TTY with text telephone what it referred
to, so that we do not need to drag in a long descriptions of a
peripheral item into the spec.

Gunnar