[Standards] Comments on XEP-0301 -- Section 1 - TTY

Gunnar Hellström gunnar.hellstrom at omnitor.se
Wed Aug 22 22:32:04 UTC 2012

On 2012-08-23 00:05, Matthew Miller wrote:
> I do not see TTY as an acronym anymore.
>
> It is like BT that was read out British Telecom before, but is now just BT.
>
> Or AT&T was read out American Telephone and Telegraph, but is now just AT&T
>
> Wiktionary has solved it by putting (originally) after Teletypewriter. http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/TTY
>
> Following that pattern it can be:
>
> TTY (Teletypewriter (originally)) and other text telephones
>

> Gunnar
> What would help most to alleviate this discussion further is to include an authoritative citation.
>

> - - m&m
>
> Matthew A. Miller
> <http://goo.gl/LK55L>
/The US Access Board has the following definition in its latest proposal
for Accessible procurement, Section 508. E.103.4
/http://www.access-board.gov/sec508/refresh/draft-rule.htm
/
TTY./  Equipment that enables interactive text based communications
through the transmission of frequency-shift-keying audio tones across
the public switched telephone network.  TTY includes devices for real
time text communications and voice and text intermixed communications.
Examples of intermixed communications are voice carry over and hearing
carry over.  One example of a TTY is a computer with TTY emulating
software and modem.

It is a bit special that we have a North American and an international term.

It looks strange to devote so much space and effort to get the US term
properly explained. Shall we just delete TTY, and only say Text telephone ?

Gunnar.