[Standards] Comments on XEP-0301 -- Section 1 - TTY

Edward Tie famtie at xs4all.nl
Thu Aug 23 07:03:55 UTC 2012

Op 23/08/2012 08:51, Gunnar Hellström schreef:
> On 2012-08-23 00:34, Matthew Miller wrote:
>>

>> On Aug 22, 2012, at 16:32, Gunnar Hellström wrote:
>>

>>> /The US Access Board has the following definition in its latest proposal for Accessible procurement, Section 508. E.103.4
>>> /http://www.access-board.gov/sec508/refresh/draft-rule.htm
>>> /
>>> TTY./  Equipment that enables interactive text based communications through the transmission of frequency-shift-keying audio tones across the public switched telephone network.  TTY includes devices for real time text communications and voice and text intermixed communications.  Examples of intermixed communications are voice carry over and hearing carry over.  One example of a TTY is a computer with TTY emulating software and modem.
>>>

>>> It is a bit special that we have a North American and an international term.
>>>
>> The citation does not need to be inline with the rest of the text.  The vast majority of the time, this is done using end notes in XEPs.
>>
>>> It looks strange to devote so much space and effort to get the US term properly explained. Shall we just delete TTY, and only say Text telephone ?
>>>
>> That works, I believe you still need the reference.  See above.
> Here is a simple one from FCC that should at least meet the
> requirement to be authoritative:
>
> TTY
> A type of machine that allows people with hearing or speech
> disabilities to communicate over the phone using a keyboard and a
> viewing screen. It is sometimes called a TDD.
>
> http://transition.fcc.gov/glossary.html
>
> It however contains the TDD that should be depreciated. And has not
> the indication that it is a North American subset term for more
> generally is called text telephone.
> Sufficient?
Yes. It mus called be to a word 'realtime text telephones'. In Europe we
use always 'realtime text telephones'. American TTY don't works with
european realtime text phones. Because European real-time textphones
uses another standaard then TTY-standaard.   It must use common words in
stead of some words from trademarks.