[Standards] review of XEP-0301, sections 6-14 - #41 IM research

Mark Rejhon markybox at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 05:21:20 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 11:46 PM, Gunnar Hellström
<gunnar.hellstrom at omnitor.se> wrote:
> I found one:
> http://seattle.intel-research.net/~davraham/pubs/Avrahami_CSCW_06.pdf
>
> It says that average message length was just below 30 characters per
> message, and average rate was 6 messages per minute in the sessions they
> studied.

For a fast typist, that would potentially result in only three or four
extra stanzas per message, if you use conservative transmission
interval settings (and transmit only during active typing, as
recommended).  The message stanza with XEP-0085 chat state, can also
combine with <rtt/>, and a second message stanza can include both
potentially non-additive.  If lots of extra pre-existing XMPP
extensions are used, then <rtt/> wouldn't even be the most
stanza-rate-hogging XMPP extension in a chat client.   It certainly
can potentially be, yes, but it doesn't have to be.

This university study that Gunnar quoted, can be cited, if there's no
objection.
There are multiple implementers concerned about the bandwidth and/or
stanza rate of XEP-0301, and I need to include something here as a
counterbalance.    (e.g. one of them publicly commented -- Darren of
Teligent U.K. expressed this concern)

Thanks
Mark Rejhon