[Standards] Comments on XEP-0301 -- Section 1 - TTY

Gunnar Hellström gunnar.hellstrom at omnitor.se
Tue Aug 28 19:21:44 UTC 2012

On 2012-08-28 18:11, Matthew Miller wrote:

> I think either of these is ok.  I'd still like at least some reference to how the technology works, since you are using this as a reference of prior art.  If you can't include a reference, then an internet search of the term needs to lead very quickly to a description of the technology.
>
> Remember, this is a document primarily for technology implementers!  These implementer might not be (in fact, are likely not) intimately familiar with the technology in general, and might want to study it more in their efforts to implement 301.
>
> If you're going to cite prior art, then you better make sure you can properly point to a description of how that prior art works.  I would STRONGLY RECOMMEND doing a Google/Bing/DuckDuckGo search on the terms, and make sure the first 5 results describe the technology.
>
> - - m&m
>
> Matthew A. Miller
> <http://goo.gl/LK55L>
This is a proposal for both the text telephone and TTY issue, and the
commercial tone issue.

I found that RFC 5194 contains a good introduction and good overview
over earlier implementation environments, and good links to further details.
So, that should give the start and then the bullet points follow cleaned
from trade marks.

-----------------------For chapter 1 (changing the bracketed refs to
numbers) ------------------------------ -----------------
Real-time text has been specified and used during the years in various
protocol and application environments.
Descriptions of the concept, its use and many of its implementations are
found in IETF RFC 5194 [RFC5194] Framework for Real-Time Text over IP
using the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)
This list contains some examples of earlier implementations of Real-Time
Text:

  * The 'talk' command on UNIX systems since the 1970's [man talk].
  * In Text telephones including TTY  [V.18].
  * In SIP, with real-time text using RTP [1].
  * The text component within IMS Multimedia Telephony [MTSI].
  * In non-standard IM services.
  * For next generation emergency services [RFC 6443].

--------------- And among references ( or rather bibliography if there
is any such annex) ------------------------------------------
[1]               IETF RFC 4103 RTP Payload for text conversation
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4103
[man talk]  Unix talk command http://www.unix.com/man-page/POSIX/1/talk/
[V.18]          ITU-T Recommendation V.18  Automoding protocol for CPEs
operating in the text telephone mode

	  http://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-V.18-200011-I with amendment
	  http://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-V.18-200211-I!Amd1

[MTSI]        3GPP TS 26.114 IMS Multimedia Telephony; Media considerations

[RFC 5194] IETF RFC 5194 Framework for Real-Time Text over IP Using the
Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5194
[RFC 6443] IETF RFC 6443 Framework for emergency calling using Internet
Multimedia
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6443

/Gunnar