[Standards] disco identity for "client/smartphone"?

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Mon Dec 3 11:15:49 UTC 2012

On 29/11/12 23:39, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Looking at http://xmpp.org/registrar/disco-categories.html I
> notice that we have disco identities for "client/handheld" (e.g.,
> PDA) and "client/phone" (e.g., mobile phone), but I think those are
> a bit old-fashioned by now. We might want to add an identity for
> "client/smartphone" (i.e., a phone that can do a lot more than the
> old-style phones we had in mind when we defined "client/phone").

-1 from me; the differences between feature-phones and smartphones
seem like a matter for capability discovery (and in any case, it's a
continuum, not a dichotomy).

The Telepathy framework supports the complete set of disco identities,
but as far as I know, the only one that has ever appeared in UIs is
client/phone, which (in our flagship UI, Empathy) puts a phone icon
next to the contact's name. The users who requested this feature
phrased their requests in terms of "so I can tell why they're ignoring
my messages", having observed that contacts connected via phones
rarely noticed incoming messages until much later. I don't see that
smartphones would differ much from featurephones in that respect.

There's also a bit of backwards-compat/"installed base" principle to
be considered here. The Telepathy installation in the Nokia N9's OS
identifies itself on XMPP as client/phone. I'm pretty sure the N9
counts as a smartphone, so I would prefer this not to be retroactively
declared to be a bug. I'm sure other vendors' existing smartphone apps
are also client/phone, if they use disco-categories at all
(unfortunately, Google's Android app doesn't, for instance).