[Standards] Gateway roster management

Sergey Dobrov binary at jrudevels.org
Thu Feb 16 20:11:35 UTC 2012

Hello,

My gateways need to use "from", "to" and "none" subscription states, not
only both but I don't see the way to make it possible gateway to pass
them from gateway to a client: XEP-144 doesn't handle subscription
states, plain subscriptions mechanism doesn't cover all of them too.

Maybe it's reasonable to make it possible to interact with gateways with
a "jabber:iq:roster" namespace? It can be done on the client side or the
server side:

1. Client side: client will ask each gateway for a roster, then it will
receive all items and get updates as usually. Benefit is that client can
divide rosters from different sources easily.
2. Server side: server can ask gateways and merge them rosters into the
general one. The benefit is in unnecessary of clients completions.

Both these options have benefit that it will be easier to move across
gateways. For now, it's really problematic to move from the one gateway
to another one.

--
With best regards,
Sergey Dobrov,