[Standards] XEP-0301 Session handling

Mark Rejhon markybox at gmail.com
Wed Feb 29 02:33:03 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 9:02 PM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im>wrote:

> I'm suggesting that you use a model similar to XEP-0085 -- if the other
> side advertises it (disco/caps), send the first message with some kind
> of RTT element. If the response comes back without an RTT element, don't
> include any RTT elements in subsequent messages within that conversation.

Hello!
This works in niche clients.

However, when bringing real-time text to the mass market, it is presumed
that vendors (i.e. Microsoft, Google) will want it to be disabled by
default.  People don't expect their typing to be transmitted live right
away.   Imagine the fuss if audio and video was enabled by default, too --
that would be a /privacy invasion/ for many users not expecting audio/video
to begin transmitting immediately.

We've got the goal of having it in mainstream instant messaging programs.
 (We're planning to add an optional XEP-0301 mode to open source clients
such as Pidgin, Adium, Miranda -- over the next 12-24 months and beyond).
As a result, eventually mainstream vendors may adopt it, i.e. Google,
Microsoft, etc, as a replacement for obsolete deaf TDD/TTY teletypewriters.

So, there's a pressure to make sure the XEP-0301 standard has everything it
requires to make a standardization of RTT negotiation possible, even if
it's as simplistic as the examples I made, or if something more elaborate
is needed.

[Interesting note: In limited testing with non-deaf audiences when it was
'available to them', RTT proved more popular than using an audio and video
feature!   Most people don't turn on Audio and Video all the time, anyway.
  Audio and video is often enabled less than 5% of the time during the
instant messaging application's lifetime, anyway.  RTT actually proved more
popular once the Average Joe Users understood what real time text is.  So
we'll be standardizing on the new logo at www.fasttext.org when a group of
us, myself included, adds it to Adium, Miranda, Pidgin, etc....]

Opinions from all would be appreciated, on the best approach to introduce
RTT 'politely' to the mainstream, since it'll be introduced to major open
source instant messengers.  That's why I have to be cautious about removing
*event='start'* if it ends up suddenly becoming necessary.

Apparently XEP-0085 doesn't cover the specific (potentially popular)
situation of an RTT-aware mass market client that has RTT disabled by
default -- that's the use case that clarification is now needed on before
we begin adding it to Adium, Miranda, Pidgin, etc...