[Standards] XEP-0301 -- starting and stopping real-time text in a chat session.

Kurt Zeilenga kurt.zeilenga at isode.com
Sun Jul 1 05:19:31 UTC 2012

On Jun 30, 2012, at 3:28 PM, Gregg Vanderheiden wrote:

> On Jun 30, 2012, at 4:21 PM, Kurt Zeilenga wrote:
>
> but please also don't call messaging 'real time' because it isn't.

too late for that.  XMPP I/M has been, right or wrong, referred to as a service for  real-time conversations (or real time chat) for a long time (search xmpp.org for uses of the term "real-time").

And, as far RTT v. XMPP IM, both can easily be referred to as "near real-time", both do not send keystroke events in real time.   Both RTT and XMPP IM batch text to some degree.  It's simply that RTT uses a timer based batching and XMPP IM uses a user specified batching.  Both allow for humans to have a real-time conversation.

But rather not get wrapped around that axel.  It's splitting hairs.

-- Kurt