[Standards] XEP-0301 -- starting and stopping real-time text in a chat session.

Gregg Vanderheiden gv at trace.wisc.edu
Sun Jul 1 05:30:29 UTC 2012

You are correct.  People do call IM real-time.   But I was asking that we not do so.   The definition of 'real-time' by the ITU covers Real-time text but not IM.    And there are important reasons for the definition -- and for not calling IM real time.  IM can take a very long time before anything is sent for slow typing users (and if the person doesn’t or can't hit the return - it is never sent)  -- whereas real-time text is guaranteed to be sent continuously with only slight batching for efficiency.

There are now requirements being created in communication and emergency specifications - that use RTT as the designator for what is needed (so that they don't have to specify a single standard for all platforms).  So it is important that real-time text communication not be confused with IM.

Hence the request that we try to avoid that going forward.

Thanks.

Gregg