[Standards] XEP-0301 -- starting and stopping real-time text in a chat session.

Kevin Smith kevin at kismith.co.uk
Sun Jul 1 08:25:05 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 7:59 AM, Gregg Vanderheiden <gv at trace.wisc.edu> wrote:
> You did not comment on the fact that turning off RTT in a way that emergency
> personnel cannot determine that RTT is an option can put users at greater
> risk in an emergency.   Did you note that?

The argument I'm making here is that if the user says "I do not want
to ever do RTT, I do not want to receive it, I do not want to be
prompted to receive it" then they shouldn't receive it, they shouldn't
be prompted to receive it, and people chatting to them shouldn't be
misled into thinking they might be able to use it. This isn't a
mandate on defaults, or policy, or user behaviour - it seems clear to
me that people who are going to use RTT in an emergency environment
are unlikely to disable the feature completely. Just because the
feature /can/ be completely disabled doesn't mean that people will do
this.

/K