[Standards] UPDATED: XEP-0301 (In-Band Real Time Text)

Mark Rejhon markybox at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 09:40:12 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 2:09 AM, Edward Tie <famtie at xs4all.nl> wrote:

>  Hi Mark,
>      I want to add on history of textphone and XMPP to old telephones that
> uses older protocols:

Hello Edward,
Good history -- however, this is already beyond scope of XEP-0301.
Anybody can create an XEP-0301 gateway that converts to almost anything
(including any of the protocols you mention).

One sentence will be added to satisfy this.
http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html#interoperability_considerations
To just simply mention that "...a gateway can be built as a part of a
complete solution (i.e. with optional audio, such as to support Voice Carry
Over) to support any legacy protocols used by TTY and textphones using
various protocols including Baudot, 300 baud ASCII, DTMF, ITU-T V.18, ITU-T
V.22, and other text transmission protocols". (wording will be refined upon
consultation within R3TF including Gregg Vanderheiden who helps out in this
area)

There was a lot of debate within our group (i.e. Gregg Vanderheiden) about
the careful choice of wording, because we need to be sensitive about the
"complete solution" (such as worldwide interoperability, the ability to use
voice, accessibility to people who don't have Internet, etc).