[Standards] UPDATED: XEP-0301 (In-Band Real Time Text)

Gunnar Hellström gunnar.hellstrom at omnitor.se
Mon Jul 9 11:12:44 UTC 2012

>> One sentence will be added to satisfy this.
>> http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html#interoperability_considerations
>> To just simply mention that "...a gateway can be built as a part of a
>> complete solution (i.e. with optional audio, such as to support Voice
>> Carry Over) to support any legacy protocols used by TTY and
>> textphones using various protocols including Baudot, 300 baud ASCII,
>> DTMF, ITU-T V.18, ITU-T V.22, and other text transmission protocols".
>> (wording will be refined upon consultation within R3TF including
>> Gregg Vanderheiden who helps out in this area)
>>
>> There was a lot of debate within our group (i.e. Gregg Vanderheiden)
>> about the careful choice of wording, because we need to be sensitive
>> about the "complete solution" (such as worldwide interoperability,
>> the ability to use voice, accessibility to people who don't have
>> Internet, etc).
>
> it's now a clear history :-)

I agree with Mark. XEP-0301 is a protocol specification for XMPP, mainly
on the transport level, and should not be loaded with too much info on
other possibly related areas.

But, since we already have that interoperability chapter, it can be
extended with a sentence.

I suggest this addition:

8.3 Textphones and TTYs in the PSTN (Informational)
Real-time text is also implemented in the PSTN, through various text
telephone modulation protocols specified in ITU-T V.18.  It is possible
to implement gateways between audio and XEP-0301 based real-time text in
IP networks and textphones (called TTY in North America)  based on V.18
or any of its Annexes in the PSTN. When designing such gateways, the
limitations in speed, transmission direction, character sets and media
simultaneity valid for these textphone protocols must be taken into
consideration as well as the user need to be able to at least alternate
between audio and real-time text during the call.

Gunnar