[Standards] UPDATED: XEP-0301 (In-Band Real Time Text)

Mark Rejhon markybox at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 15:05:20 UTC 2012

I propose a shorter section added to Interoperability, since it is listed
as one of the Requirements (TTY alternative) in Section 2, so it is very
prudent that I expand on how it's accomplished, by adding this section to
Interoperability:

*8.3 TTY and Textphones*
*Real-time text is implemented in assistive telephone devices that operate
on the PSTN (e.g. TTY in North America, textphone in Europe), using various
text telephone modulation protocols such as those specified in ITU-T V.18
and its annexes (e.g. Baudot, DTMF). It is possible to implement gateways
between them and XEP-0301 based real-time text, and can be combined with an
audio protocol such as XEP-0166 (e.g. for Voice Carry Over). *

It satisfies everyone concerns I hope, because:
1. Its first sentence is jargon-free
2. It is reasonably short.
3. I use "various text modulation protocols" to include any possible text
modulation protocols, not just those in V.18 (I only use the phrase "such
as" -- which keeps the door open to anything)
4. Any audio protocol may be used.
5. Further implementation details are left out of this; and best covered by
a FAQ site (like the one I eventually plan to create)