[Standards] UPDATED: XEP-0301 (In-Band Real Time Text) - on cancel

Gunnar Hellström gunnar.hellstrom at omnitor.se
Mon Jul 9 20:53:51 UTC 2012

On 2012-07-09 09:51, Gunnar Hellström wrote:
> 14. Section 4.2.2 event='cancel'.  How does this behave through
> multi-user chat and multiple login situations? Is the event='cancel'
> sent through to all? I see a risk that one user sending event='cancel'
> would turn off rtt for all recipients. If this is true, I see three
> solutions:
> a) Delete event='cancel'. b) Add a sentence saying "event='cancel'
> SHALL not be used in a MUC or multi-login session.  c) Add a sentence
> saying "event='cancel' SHOULD be ignored in MUC and multi-login sessions.
> I have a slight preference for solution a), to delete cancel from the
> specification.
> If it is deleted, also the sections in 6.2.1 and 6.2.2 dealing with
> "cancel" shall be deleted.

I noticed now that there is mentioning of cancel and MUC in section 6.5.3.1.
http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html#multiuser_chat

"For <rtt/> elements, the event <#event> attribute of 'init' or 'cancel'
is not appropriate for MUC since they are intended for one-on-one use."

However, I do not think it is sufficient, and doubt that it is correct:

I see no problem with 'init' in the muc situation. So, I suggest that
"init" is deleted.

The current wording says "is not appropriate for MUC".  I suggest that
that is sharpened up a bit to say:

"For <rtt/> elements, the event <#event> attribute of  'cancel' SHALL
NOT be sent during MUC sessions and shall be ignored on reception in
such sessions since it could cause all rtt actions to cease."

Also in the multiple login section 6.5.3.2 this must be mentioned:

"For <rtt/> elements, the event <#event> attribute of  'cancel' SHALL
NOT be sent during multiple login sessions and shall be ignored on
reception in such sessions, since it could cause all rtt actions to cease."

4.2.2 I suggest that the non-use of 'cancel' in MUC and multiple login
situations is mentioned already in section 4.2.2

Gunnar