[Standards] UPDATED: XEP-0301 (In-Band Real Time Text)

Gregg Vanderheiden gv at trace.wisc.edu
Mon Jul 9 22:11:59 UTC 2012

Good -- but also misses a major other user for real-time text, especially with elders, and that is captioning.  Also for text one way and audio the next.

Without making it much longer - we can include these important but often overlooked (in an attempt to be brief) methods of communication.

Addition to what Gunnar Hellström wrote On Jul 9, 2012, at 5:24 PM, :

> 8.3 Textphones (Including TTY)
> Real-time text is implemented in assistive text telephone devices that operate on the PSTN (called TTY in North America), using various text telephone modulation protocols such as those specified in ITU-T V.18 and its annexes (e.g. Baudot, DTMF). It is possible to implement gateways between them and XEP-0301 based real-time text, that can be combined with an audio protocol e.g. XEP-0166 (e.g. for alternating audio and text or text one way and audio the other).

 8.x  Use for Captioned Telephony
XEP-0301 based real-time text can be combined with an audio protocol e.g. XEP-0166 to provide captioned telephony and can interoperate via gateways with other IP-based captioned telephony protocols such as SIP VoIP with RFC 4103.