[Standards] UPDATED: XEP-0301 (In-Band Real Time Text)

Barry Dingle btdingle at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 00:20:48 UTC 2012

Mark,

Really good job. My suggestions are mainly minor edits. Some (hopefully)
improve the meaning.

My Numbers relate to the Section numbers. They have reasons with them where
appropriate.
= = = =

*1.* (Edit) I think the last sentence should be a separate paragraph. (It
is not really part of the paragraph it is in now. And it will highlight the
sentence more which is needed.)

*4.* We need to add some context before we dive into the detail.

Add the following (before 4.1 heading):
"This specification is an extension of XMPP (*XMPP Core* [8]). It uses XMPP
terminology."  (To this point in the specification it implies the use of
XMPP but it does not explicitly state it.)

*4.1* (Edit) Last sentence (immediately before Section 4.2)

Make the last sentence a new paragraph on its own. (It does not relate to
sentence before it and it is a requirement that should be highlighted.)

*4.2.1* (Edit) Add text to clarify meaning of last sentence of 2nd paragraph

". . . to keep <rtt/> compact, *but should allow for *plenty of
incrementing room without overflow."

*4.3* Clarify what happens in the 2nd sentence.

"The *content of the <body/> element in the *delivered message is displayed
instead of the *contents of the accumulated <rtt/> elements of
the*real-time text message."

*4.5* Clarify 2nd sentence of 2nd paragraph by removing the words 'before
sending' at the end of the sentence. The words removed are misleading when
present as the real-time text has been sent.

"The inclusion of real-time text functionality to existing client software,
needs to preserve the sender's existing expectation of being able to edit
their messages."

*4.5.4.1* (Edit) Last sentence.

“It is noted *that* conversion of line breaks into a single LINE FEED . . .
. “

*5.* 2nd last paragraph. Remove the word 'is' as it should not be there.

“Enabling/disabling of discovery *is* SHOULD NOT be the default method of
activating/deactivating real-time text.”
***6.2.1*    In the first of the 4 bullet points – remove 'else' or remove
'as well' as this is repetitive.

  Question – Do we need Either of those terms? Can we remove both of them?

In the 2nd bullet point, remove 'also'.

 *6.3*   2nd paragraph 1st sentence – remove the 2 commas as they are not
needed.

 *6.4.1*   (Add) 2nd sentence – state what needs to happen

   “. . . simply retransmitted every Transmission Interval *with
event='reset'* whenever there are any text changes.”

   3rd sentence – add 'example' - “The *example* below . . . ”

 *6.4.4.1*   (Edit) 3rd bullet point – clarify and simplify end of sentence

  “If there are no changes to the real-time message, then no <rtt/> element
needs to be transmitted.”

 *6.4.4.2*   (Edit) Spelling 'receiving' and remove the unnecessary 'that'
-

  “in the order they are received.”

 *6.5.1*   Last paragraph – remove plurals – change

  from “. . clients that sends” to “. . clients that send”

  from “. . when messages reaches” to “. . when messages reach”

 *6.5.4*   Last paragraph - remove plurals 'resumes' and 'continues'

  “Senders that *resume* composing a message (i.e. *continue* a ”

 *6.5.5*   1st paragraph, 3rd sentence – remove plural

  “Real-time messages *need* to be updated . . ”

 *7.1*   (Edit) Correct text after first message example.  Change "HLLO" to
"HLL".

  "The above code sends the misspelled "*HLL*", then <e/><e/> backspaces 2
times, then sends "HELLO"."

The 3 examples have the words “The above code . . .”. It is not *code*.
  All 3 cases should be changed to start with “The *example* above . . . “

 ***7.2.2*   1st sentence - Change “The below example . . “ to “The example
below . . “. Better English.

*7.3.1*   2nd last sentence - We should not be referring to code here.
Maybe try rewording the sentence like:

  “This is because the text *"Hello Bob, this is Alice!"* is output then *<d
n='4' p='5'/>* deletes 4 characters from position 5.”
   (This improves consistency with explanatory text in other sections. )

 *7.3.2*   Same comment as 7.3.1 applies here with different details.

 *7.3.3*   Same comment as 7.3.1 applies here with different details.

 *8*    First paragraph – simplify wording to:

  “There are other real-time text standards. Interoperability between those
standards and this specification may be required. For each environment
where interoperability is supported, an interoperability specification
needs to be documented that covers addressing, session control, media
negotiation and media transcoding.”

*8.2*   2nd paragraph – several small edits – see edited whole paragraph
below. Change 'addressing' to 'address' ; remove unnecessary commas, add
'for' ; add 'processing' to indicate what is being referred to.

  “Interoperability implies *address* translation, media negotiation and
translation, and media transcoding. For media transcoding between this
specification and T.140/RFC 4103, the real-time text transcoding is
straight forward except *for* the editing feature of this specification.
Backwards positioning and insertion or deletion far back in the message can
cause a large number of erase operations in T.140 that take
*processing*time and bandwidth to convey.”

 *Appendix D*   - XMPP is defined by RFC 6120 and RFC 6121 (and maybe RFC
6122?).

= = =
Cheers,
/Barry

Barry Dingle
Fixed - +61(0)3-9725-3937    Mob - +61(0)41-911-7578
Fellow of University of Melbourne, Electrical and Electronic Eng.,
Australia
> Apple + Linux + Open Source software