[Standards] XEP-0301 Fallback Mechanism of Determining Support (Accessibility)

Kevin Smith kevin at kismith.co.uk
Tue Jul 10 19:51:55 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 7:34 PM, Mark Rejhon <markybox at gmail.com> wrote:
> Oh wow -- This is a massive surprise for me.
> *precedent* in a *Final* standard -- that allows bypassing disco!

Before planning  too much based on the precedent that CSN sets, it's
worth noting that the precedent in question is that there was a
protocol that predates caps and used another signalling method, and
that this was retrofitted with caps support once it was available in
preference to the legacy method, which was only left in place to deal
with existing clients that deployed with the legacy method.

That is: the precedent is that non-disco/caps discovery methods are deprecated.

Also worth noting is that caps does not say that either method is
appropriate. It mandates caps support, only allowing enough of the
legacy support to allow interop with existing clients.

I'm still aiming to do a review of the XEP soon - I'll try to suggest
appropriate text for bits that I suspect need it when I do.

/K