[Standards] XEP-0297 review

Matthew Wild mwild1 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 19:29:07 UTC 2012

On 16 July 2012 18:10, Justin Karneges
<justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com> wrote:
> On Monday, July 16, 2012 09:53:02 AM you wrote:
>> >
>> > I also wonder if we could restrict the namespace of the wrapped stanza to
>> > always be "jabber:client".
>>
>> What if servers forward or encapsulate server-to-server stanzas? I could
>> definitely see a use for that in debugging or incident reporting.
>
> Then they'd be converted to "jabber:client" before encapsulation. I bring this
> up because this is how the various e2e proposals have tended to work, and
> ensures clients don't have to deal with multiple namespaces.

This does make some sense. In Prosody a stanza is most of the time
detached from its parent namespace, and in fact our MAM plugin already
unconditionally sets jabber:client. I can't think of a case where you
would need it to be jabber:server, even for the use-cases Peter
brought up.

I know top of my list for XMPP 2.0 (1.1??) would be a single namespace
for all stream types :)

Regards,
Matthew