[Standards] UPDATED: XEP-0276 (Presence Decloaking)

Gunnar Hellström gunnar.hellstrom at omnitor.se
Mon Jul 16 23:43:59 UTC 2012

On 2012-07-17 01:26, Lance Stout wrote:
> Given that entity caps are expected to be transmitted in both the sent and received presence (or failing that you now know a full JID which can be queried for disco), what more do we really need other than saying that you can include multiple values in the reason attribute?
>
>    <decloak reason="audio video text" />
>
>> >Answers should include details about the presence, such as supported codecs, and parameters, and encryption capabilities.
> Any supported protocols, codecs, etc would be found via disco/entity caps.
>
> The reason value is really just a hint or suggestion, since the requester may well attempt to subsequently establish a different type of session than originally requested, or none at all (this should be mentioned in security considerations, I think). Attempting to layer much more meaning than that seems more complex than necessary.
Good reasoning,
if we make it:
<decloak reason="audio video real-time-text message-text" />

Real-time text and message text has very different usability
characteristics, so they should not be intermixed. Real-time text is
rapid without the wait for message composition that appears in message
text. It is time to modernize text communication. Merging them under the
single label "test" is as asking for streamed video and conversational
video at the same time.

/Gunnar