[Standards] NEW: XEP-0308 (Last Message Correction)- Interop with XEP 0301 RTT

Lance Stout lancestout at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 22:24:16 UTC 2012

Yeah, my first thought was "why not just allow adding a <replace /> in each RTT update?" but that can add a lot of overhead, even though it makes the intent very explicit.

I think the inclusion of the id attribute with event="reset" has strong enough semantics to make this work. You're resetting a previous message for amendment via RTT, and the final <replace /> gives the result of editing.

A few things that will need to be considered:

I can see already that the description of the reset event will need to be updated to cover the new semantics. For example, the current XEP-0301 text does not sound like this method would be acceptable if one attempted to replace a message sent before RTT was enabled.

Does this handle the case where a user begins a replacement, but then decides to not commit to the replacement? Or is that simply not a case that makes sense in a RTT session?

+1 on the direction of this.

-- Lance