[Standards] NEW: XEP-0308 (Last Message Correction)- Interop with XEP 0301 RTT

Mark Rejhon markybox at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 21:56:25 UTC 2012

On 2012-07-18 5:39 PM, "Gunnar Hellström" <gunnar.hellstrom at omnitor.se>
wrote:

> On 2012-07-18 01:57, Mark Rejhon wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 7:08 PM, Mark Rejhon <markybox at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 6:24 PM, Lance Stout <lancestout at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> And the bottom line -- is there interest from anybody else in the list
for me to add the optional 'id' attribute to XEP-0301?  I'd keep it as a
modification in reserve, to be added only when XEP-0308 becomes draft.

>> Unless anyone believes I should cover it in XEP-0301 right now, today?
>> It's such an edge case today, but is there interest from others in
including it in XEP-0301 right now?

> The function of edit latest message is important to get into XMPP
real-time text.
> It should not wait years.
>
> But you notice that the protocol for it has not settled yet, and the
specification of it will reference XEP-0308.
> I would not like to see XEP-0301 becoming dependent on other experimental
XEPs.
> Therefore I suggest that real-time editing of last completed message is
done as a later improvement of XEP-0301 or new small extension.

There seems to be agreement by a few, about waiting till XEP-0308 is
Draft.

Now....It is a reasonably minor update to XEP-0301 that is only used if
used along with XEP-0308 and backwards compatible.  I think the change to
XEP-0301 can be kept to as little as a single paragraph, the problem is I'd
have to mention a potentially rarely used (for a long while) 'id' attribute
in an early XEP-0301 chapter, which I don't like to have to introduce until
XEP-0308 is Draft and more widey used.

That said, I'd like  still need to hear about some clarity about XEP-0308
proper usage, from the perspective of Lance's message.  Peter?

Mark Rejhon