[Standards] NEW: XEP-0308 (Last Message Correction)- Interop with XEP 0301 RTT

Gunnar Hellström gunnar.hellstrom at omnitor.se
Fri Jul 20 05:02:08 UTC 2012

On 2012-07-20 00:17, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> On 7/19/12 4:12 PM, Mark Rejhon wrote:
>> >Here is a proposed amendment to XEP-0301 for full compatibility between
>> >XEP-0301 and XEP-0308, to accommodate agreement between myself, Lance,
>> >Peter, and Kevin.
>> >
>> >___________________
>> >
>> >id
>> >This OPTIONAL attribute is used only if *Last Message Correction [4]
>> >*(XEP-0308) is implemented. Sender clients MAY use this attribute to
>> >allow recipient clients to have improved presentation of real-time text
>> >during message correction (e.g. shown as in-place editing of previous
>> >message).
>> >
>> >This *id *attribute refers to the <message/> stanza containing the
>> >at all, then*id*  MUST be included in all <rtt/> elements transmitted
>> >during message correction of the previous message. When switching
>> >messages being edited (i.e. editing the current message versus editing
>> >the previous message), the first <rtt/> element MUST contain an*event*
>> ><http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html#event>  attribute value, such
>> >as 'reset'. See*Message Reset*
>> ><http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html#message_reset>.
>> >___________________
This looks good.
A couple of observations and questions:

1. I suggest that you add a small section "6.5.7 Editing last message."
with general application information of this feature.
Extensions should not be intertwined by too much information about each
other, but some basic information would be in place here.

Proposal:
The last completed message can be edited through combined use of the
*id* attribute of <rtt/> and application of XEP-0308 [ ]. If both
XEP-0301 and XEP-0308 support is discovered and accepted, then real-time
editing of last message MUST be supported.

2. I suggest that you add a use case "7.5 Example of edit last message"
with a short sequence of editing last and returning to editing new.
Something based on the examples you have circulated would be fine.

3. Would you consider that a sentence is needed towards the end of your
proposed section on *id*  saying
"Before switching from last message editing to current message editing,
the completed last message MUST be committed according to the rules of
XEP-0308 [ ].
Or do you think that that is obvious, or do you intend that jumping back
and forth between last and current may appear without committing the
replacement of the last for every such jump to current?

4. I suggest the you delete the word "improved" on line 3. It is not
about improving real-time presentation, t is about providing it at all.

5. I suggest that you delete the words "at all" in the middle of the
*id* section. "used" is sufficient.

Gunnar