[Standards] NEW: XEP-0308 (Last Message Correction)- Interop with XEP 0301 RTT

Mark Rejhon markybox at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 17:21:54 UTC 2012

Ok, I think I need to proofread more carefully, to make sure my words are
not mis-interpreted by some.  My apologies!

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 1:14 PM, Mark Rejhon <markybox at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 1:07 PM, Matthew Miller <
> linuxwolf at outer-planes.net> wrote:
>
>> > About the agreed XEP-0308 and XEP-0301 compatibility:
>> > I would like to amend the list of advantages that I sent earlier, due to
>> > the improved retroactive editing protocol that is already agreed between
>> > myself, Peter, Kevin, and Lance.  (Except potential disagreement about
>> > whether to have a third separate 'disco' which I still think is
>> unnecessary)
>> >

>> I still don't understand your resistance to disco, and the argument "the
>> software is buggy!" is specious at best.
>>
>> However, I'm willing to reserve full judgement until I read through the
>> updated versions.
>>

> No, no -- this one is different, evaluated from a different perspective.
> This is a completely different matter from the "fallback method", as this
> list simply illustrates optimization to the protocol for maximum
> compatibility between a variety of combinations of XEP-0301 and XEP-0301 --
> it is not something any of my implementations ever plans to do.    (the
> fallback method is for a completely different reason).

Actually -- My rephrased version:

No, no -- this one is different, evaluated from a different perspective.
This is a completely different matter from the "fallback method", as this
list simply illustrates optimization to the protocol for maximum
compatibility between a variety of combinations of XEP-0301 and *XEP-0308*--
*skipping 0308 disco* is not something any of my implementations ever plans
to do.    (the *XEP-0085-style fallback method for XEP-0301* is for a
completely different reason)