[Standards] UPDATED: XEP-0301 (In-Band Real Time Text) -- candidate for LAST CALL

Mark Rejhon markybox at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 02:55:41 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 9:33 PM, XMPP Extensions Editor <editor at xmpp.org>wrote:

> Version 0.4 of XEP-0301 (In-Band Real Time Text) has been released.
> Abstract: This is a specification for real-time text transmitted in-band
> over an XMPP session.
> Changelog: Spelling, grammar, and clarification edits, including section
> clarifications recommended from public discussion. Interop with XEP-0308
> message correction. (MDR)
> Diff: http://xmpp.org/extensions/diff/api/xep/0301/diff/0.3/vs/0.4

This is the version of the spec I would like to announce LAST CALL, if at
least a few people think it is ready. Peter Saint Andre mentioned he
believed it was ready, Gunnar has mentioned it is ready, but I would like
Peter's opinion again, as well as Kevin's opinion.

More detail about the changes made, based on discussion on this mailing
list, as well as within the Real Time Text Taskforce, and discussion to
other parties. The diff is much less dense than between 0.2->0.3, with
mainly hundreds of tiny edits (mostly grammatical and spelling), and at
least a couple of significant section changes/slight reordering.

- Protocol Change: (Backwards compatible) Add new optional 'id' attribute
for good compatibility with XEP-0308 Last Message Correction
- Editorial: Many minor grammar and spelling mistakes fixed (with help of
Microsoft Word)
- Editorial: Adjusted uppercase "And", "For", "With" in headings to
lowercase
- Editorial: "implementor" changed to "implementer" (consistent with usage
by other Final XEP's)
- Editorial: Vast majority of Barry Dingle's corrections incorporated
- Editorial: Minor changes to Multi-User Chat section
- Rename: "Real-Time Text Operations" renamed to "Real-Time Text Actions"
(consistency)
- Rename: "Element <w/> - Interval" into "Element <w/> - Wait Interval" in
order to reduce confusion with "Transmission Interval", and someone also
asked what "W" in <w/> stood for.
- Optimization: Rewrote 6.1.2 "Preserving Key Press Intervals" to be much
clearer, while 15% smaller.
- Optimization: Section 1 "Introduction", optimized one sentence in last
paragraph. Shorter yet extolls additional mainstream advantages.
- Optimization: Section 8 "Interoperability Considerations" optimized by
approximately 40% in size, with no loss of info.
- Clarification: Section 4.1 first two paragraphs has very minor edits,
including four-word explanation why <body/> is still used.
- Clarification: Added word "default" to 4.4 Transmission Interval.
- Clarification: Reorganize section 6.4 "Real-Time Text Transmission
Methodologies" to be more user-friendly (also based on Gunnar comments).
 Some section names have been changed, and information has been
recategorized in a different order.
- Clarification: Section 4.6.3 "Message Reset", changed third bullet to be
more appropriate, some sentences updated.
- Clarification: Section 5 "Determining Support" improvement, now includes
XEP-0115.  (Continues to allow XEP-0085 style fallback)
- Clarification: Clarification of several examples, new examples added to
Use Cases
NOTE: Despite the evolution of this specification, all versions of XEP-0301
since v0.1 have remained backwards compatible with each other (at least in
intended interpretation  -- wording is much more clarified in v0.4 thanks
to everyone's help!)

I would appreciate opinions about announcing LAST CALL, for this
specification.
Thank you so much, everyone!

Mark Rejhon