[Standards] XEP-0301 0.5 comments [Sections 1 through 5]

Mark Rejhon markybox at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 17:15:44 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 11:31 AM, Gregg Vanderheiden <gv at trace.wisc.edu>wrote:

> I agree
>
> the word by word is often brought up -- but never implemented.  It make
> little sense to add this here and confuse the discussion.  You can't do
> word by word without XEP-0301 == and if doing XEP-0301 you can do   NT or
> WbWord or SbSentence or CbClause whatever you want.  But I would not get
> into discussing or mentioning them except to say that you can allow any of
> them as options in a client but should be on the receiving side as a
> preference.
>
> Talking about doing word by word but sending fragments if person is slow
> etc is just confusing this standard.   Keep it simple I think.

That's why I kept the Introductory Example quite simple for this.

In order of preference, I like:
1. Natural Typing
2. Time-Smoothed
3. Word Transmission
4. Fragment Transmission
5. Whole Message Transmission (unless in an "email" mood)

The Introduction goes as high as possible (#3) without going into the
complicated territory.

Right now, votes are roughly evenly split (half a dozen Yea's, and half a
dozen Nay's over the last 2 years), and I refuse to budget at the moment,
barring a huge vote surge in one direction or another....

Mark Rejhon