[Standards] XEP-0301 0.5 comments [Sections 1 through 5]

Mark Rejhon markybox at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 21:52:48 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 5:37 PM, Lance Stout <lancestout at gmail.com> wrote:

> " The <rtt/> element is transmitted at regular intervals by the sender
> client while a message is being composed"
>
> If we're going to be picky about what the first example demonstrates, it
> should probably also be noted in this sentence that the regular intervals
> are intended to be temporal, and not simply "every N characters". Thus, if
> any change is to be made, we should make sure that each RTT in the example
> does not have the same number of characters, for the same reasons as have
> been discussed.

Right -- It is temporal.  And yes, I agree with you too.
Though it doesn't have to be an exact clock --- it is permitted to
temporally vary (e.g. word transmission of captioning / transcription,
meaning <rtt/> is timed with the bursts from a transcription engine).   I
do give some coverage of that later in the specification.

Mark Rejhon