[Standards] XEP-0301 0.5 comments [Clarification about Client Switching / Single JID Handling]

Mark Rejhon markybox at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 18:36:54 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 12:01 PM, Mark Rejhon <markybox at gmail.com> wrote:
> There's no logging off involved -- They keep running simultaneous.

> Due to the misunderstanding, I feel I might need to explain this better in
> the spec -- perhaps we can discuss how to improve the wording in the spec to
> be clear, because:
>
> This is common use case:
> - Person switches from PC to laptop.
> - Person switches from Mac to iPad
> - Person switches from Android to PC
> etc.
[snip]

I want to point out that I tested on several servers, including
-- Openfire (default install)
-- jabber.org
-- Google Talk

The recipient-side single JID handling still continue to provide
excellent UX in all situations even in differing behaviours (e.g.
XEP-0296 followed or not, resource locking followed or not, Google
Talk-style server carbons or not, etc.) .... It is thus my opinion
that while senders should still send to full JID and recipients should
still do disco with full JID, the internal storage of real-time
messages can be indexed by bare JID.

Thanks
Mark Rejhon