[Standards] XEP-0301 0.5 comments -Unicode characters

Mark Rejhon markybox at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 13:49:15 UTC 2012

> <GH>RFC 5198 Network Unicode  requires Unicode Normalization form NFC with
> good motivations. I suggest that we introduce:
> "Use of Unicode Normalization form NFC as required by RFC 5198 is strongly
> RECOMMENDED."
> "Servers and other network elements SHOULD avoid modifying contents of <t/>
> elements"

Based on Kevin's new reply, and based on the existence of RFC5198 --
this sounds very sensible.
Good on referencing RFC5198 -- I didn't realize there was an RFC
standardizing NFC during network transmission.
I will cite RFC5198 because it very useful to a person's understanding
of Unicode -- including normal forms -- and I'll mention NFC it is.
Yes, it's true that XML standard requires LF and RFC5198 requires
CRLF.
The RECOMMENDED's and SHOULD's are fine.

Mark Rejhon