[Standards] File sharing xep proposal

Matthew Wild mwild1 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 04:06:34 UTC 2012

Hi Jefry,

On 6 November 2012 01:19, Jefry Lagrange <jefry.reyes at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've been working for quite some time in a protocol extension to allow file
> sharing. I have a (some-what) working prototype of its implementation.

Great to hear! I can think of a million-and-one uses for such a
protocol, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

> The prototype is available at Gajim's plugin repository:
> http://hg.gajim.org/gajim-plugins

and running code is always good :)

I read very quickly through (it's 4am after all...), and it seems
pretty sensible. Any comments I have are minor, and I think it's
perfectly fine to submit it as it is.

A few of my comments...

It seems like it might be possible to make the directory listing XML
somewhat more compact than it currently is. For example just listing
files with no metadata could simply be:

   <file name="foo.txt"/>
   <file name="bar.txt"/>

which seems a lot simpler than the nested XML elements in the example.
Metadata can be child elements of <file/> because although every file
has a name, metadata may vary and will almost certainly want to be
extended in some cases.

I'm not sure how necessary it is to require the leading '/' prefix, it
seems natural to omit it if I just have a flat list of files. And then
'foo/bar.txt' is perfectly fine when I don't, so it seems like it
could be dropped without much problem.

The security note about access control being implemented on servers
doesn't make complete sense. Files are shared by a specific resource,
so each resource can enforce its own access controls... and different
resources won't necessarily be sharing the same sets of files. A
logged in client generally already has the roster, which is probably
the main access control advantage that the server could offer anyway.

Anyway, good work... and I look forward to it being approved soon, and
perhaps implementing it myself :)

Regards,
Matthew