[Standards] File sharing xep proposal

Jefry Lagrange jefry.reyes at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 17:51:08 UTC 2012

Hi

On 11/08/2012 03:20 AM, Sergey Dobrov wrote:
> Hello Jefry,
>
> Thank you for the HTML version you provided.

That wasn't me, thank Matthew for converting it and hosting it in his
website.

> The problem is very actual so thank you for your interest too.
>
> The first thing is that I think that the XEP-0135
> (http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0135.html) way of browsing files is
> nicer because it reuses service discovery in very natural way. :) But
> the search compatibilities you provided in your XEP are nice too, but
> I think that queries should be improved though.

I have tried many different ways of making the protocol. The first time
around, I modified xep0135 to include search capabilities. Someone told
me, I think it was Matthew, that xep0135 abuses service discovery by
using it too much.  Also another thing that I noticed is that,
data-forms make the xep0135 stanzas become really big, as they waste too
much space.

For those reasons, I decided to move away from xep0135 and instead of
using dataforms, use the well known file stanzas as defined in xep096
and xep0234.

In what way do you think that  the queries could be improved?

> The other thing I noticed is that you saying the the client MUST
> respond with the list of files if it was queried to do so. I don't
> think it's right because there are many conditions when client might
> decide not to do so: permissions control, bandwith control, etc.

Maybe it wasn't clear in the xep, I will check the writing. Basically if
you don't have or want to share any files you just reply with a:

  <match>
         <offer>
             <directory/>
         </offer>