[Standards] File sharing xep proposal

Sergey Dobrov binary at jrudevels.org
Thu Nov 8 18:41:20 UTC 2012

On 11/09/2012 12:51 AM, Jefry Lagrange wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have tried many different ways of making the protocol. The first time
> around, I modified xep0135 to include search capabilities. Someone told
> me, I think it was Matthew, that xep0135 abuses service discovery by
> using it too much.  Also another thing that I noticed is that,
> data-forms make the xep0135 stanzas become really big, as they waste too
> much space.

I actually don't understand hot is it possible to "abuse" service
discovery. Maybe someone can explain?

Also, I don't think that forms waste much space. They bigger than SI's
but not so much and they provide ability to be shown with existent form
parsers.

> For those reasons, I decided to move away from xep0135 and instead of
> using dataforms, use the well known file stanzas as defined in xep096
> and xep0234.
>
> In what way do you think that  the queries could be improved?

Specify the ways client should search files. For example, it can be
something like wildcards for filenames or smth else.

>> The other thing I noticed is that you saying the the client MUST
>> respond with the list of files if it was queried to do so. I don't
>> think it's right because there are many conditions when client might
>> decide not to do so: permissions control, bandwith control, etc.
>
> Maybe it wasn't clear in the xep, I will check the writing. Basically if
> you don't have or want to share any files you just reply with a:
>
>   <match>
>          <offer>
>              <directory/>
>          </offer>
>   </match>

I think that the better way is to define errors we can return because
the empty set is not the same as error and errors have to be reported
right way.

--
With best regards,
Sergey Dobrov,