[Standards] File sharing xep proposal

Sergey Dobrov binary at jrudevels.org
Fri Nov 9 08:26:28 UTC 2012

On 11/09/2012 03:17 AM, Matthew Wild wrote:
> On 8 November 2012 18:41, Sergey Dobrov <binary at jrudevels.org> wrote:
>> On 11/09/2012 12:51 AM, Jefry Lagrange wrote:
>>> I have tried many different ways of making the protocol. The first time
>>> around, I modified xep0135 to include search capabilities. Someone told
>>> me, I think it was Matthew, that xep0135 abuses service discovery by
>>> using it too much.  Also another thing that I noticed is that,
>>> data-forms make the xep0135 stanzas become really big, as they waste too
>>> much space.
>>
>> I actually don't understand hot is it possible to "abuse" service discovery.
>> Maybe someone can explain?
>
> I believe the thread Jefry references is this one:
> http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2011-November/025456.html

ah, it seems that Jefrey was confused with the "overload" and "abuse"
terms. So I still think that it would be better to keep files
directories in the service discovery, just we need another way to do
search queries. I believe that the same thing Matthew actually said in
those thread.

--
With best regards,
Sergey Dobrov,