[Standards] disco identity for "client/smartphone"?

Kozlov Konstantin yagiza at yandex.ru
Fri Nov 30 14:11:33 UTC 2012

30.11.2012, 12:26, "Kevin Smith" <kevin at kismith.co.uk>:
> On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 11:39 PM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im> wrote:
>
>>  Looking at http://xmpp.org/registrar/disco-categories.html I notice
>>  that we have disco identities for "client/handheld" (e.g., PDA) and
>>  "client/phone" (e.g., mobile phone), but I think those are a bit
>>  old-fashioned by now. We might want to add an identity for
>>  "client/smartphone" (i.e., a phone that can do a lot more than the
>>  old-style phones we had in mind when we defined "client/phone").
>
> If this thing is capable of running an XMPP client on it, it's a smartphone.
Why?! Any cheap J2ME-enabled phone can run XMPP client without any problem.
Usually we call "smartphones" only mobile devices with operating system (Symbian, Windows CE/Mobile/Phone, iOS or Android).
So, if you call any Java-enabled mobile phone "smartphone", you should agree that no mobile phones produced today at all. Only smartphones!